Tuesday, September 10, 2013

All About Me Storytime 9/10/13 and 9/11/13

I am so glad storytime is back after our August break :) This week's theme is "All About Me".

The books read: 
The Things I can Do by Jeff Mack
I Like Me by Nancy Carlson

Other book suggestions:

I'm Gonna Like Me by Jamie Lee Curtis
I'm Me by Sara Sheridan

Songs and Activities

Touch game
Touch your nose,
Touch your chin
That's the way this game begins
Touch your eyes
Touch your knees
Now pretend you are going to sneez
Touch your hair
Touch one ear
Touch your two red lips right here
Touch your elbows where they bend
That's the way the touch game ends.

Head Shoulders Knees and Toes
Head and shoulders
Knees and toes
Knees and toes
Head and shoulders 
Knees and toes,
Knees and toes,
Eyes and ears and mouth and nose
Head and shoulders 
Knees and Toes

Note: Songs like these are great for developing motor skills, and for teaching identification of body parts.
  
I can!
Chanting "I can" followed by having the children repeat different actions. (ex. Running, Jumping, Spinning, Stomping Feet, Clapping Hands)

If you're happy and you know it 

Hello, My Name is Joe
Hello, my name is Joe and I work at the Pizza Factory.
I have a house and a dog and a family.
Now one day the cook said to me:
"Hey Joe are you busy?" I said "No".
The cook said "Then can you stir this sauce with your right hand (make stirring motion with right hand, continue through rhyme)

Hello, my name is Joe and I work at the Pizza Factory.
I have a house and a dog and a family.
Now one day the cook said to me:
"Hey Joe, are you busy?" I said "No."
The cook said "Then can you chop these veggies with your left hand?" (make chopping motion with left hand continue throughout rhyme)

Hello, my name is Joe and I work at the Pizza Factory.
I have a house and a dog and a family.
Now one day the cook said to me:
"Hey Joe, are you busy?" I said "No."

The cook said "Then can you close this trash can with your right foot? (make motion with right foot continue throughout rhyme)
Hello my name is Joe, and I work at the Pizza Factory. 
I have a house and a dog and a family.
Now one day the cook said to me:
"Hey Joe, are you busy?" I said "No."

The cook said "Then can you open this door with your left foot?" (make motion with left foot, continue throughout rhyme)
Hello, my name is Joe and I work at the Pizza Factory.
I have a house and a dog and a family.
Now one day the cook said to me:
"Hey Joe, are you busy?" I said "No".

The cook said "Then can you lick these stamps with your tongue? (continue with tongue out)
Hello, my name is Joe, and I work at the Pizza Factory.
I have a house and a dog and a family.
Now one day the cook said to me:
"Hey Joe, are you busy?" I said "YES!" 


Literacy Tip of the Week: When reading stories like "The Things I can Do", where the pictures don't match with the text is saying, make sure to point out the differences to your child as you read. In school they will be asked to think about choices authors have made to tell their stories, and these differences are one type of choice made by the author.

Craft:
We made pictures of ourselves with yarn and crayon :)
 




No comments:

Post a Comment