Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Cat Storytime 10/16/17 and 10/17/17

Books read: 
Cat Secrets by Jef Czekaj
I love cats by Sue Stainton

ASL sign of the week: Cat

If you're a cat and you know it (to the tune of "If you're happy and you know it")
If you're a cat and you know it say meow, (meow)
If you're a cat and you know it say meow.
If you're a cat and you know it and you really want to show it,
If you're a cat and you know it saw meow.

If you're a cat and you know it lick your paws, (pretend to lick hands)
If you're a cat and you know it lick your paws,
If you're a cat and you know it and you really want to show it,
If you're a cat and you know it lick your paws.

If you're a cat and you know it pounce like this, (pretend to pounce on hands and knees)
If you're a cat and you know it pounce like this,
If you're a cat and you know it and you really want to show it,
If you're a cat and you know it pounce like this.

Five Kittens
Five little kittens standing in a row
They nod their heads to the children so. (nod)
They run to the left, they run to the right (run to the left and then to the right)
They stand and stretch in the bright sunlight. (stretch tall)
Along comes a dog that's in for some fun.
MEOW! See those kittens run! (run)

My Little Kitty (to the tune of Shortin' Bread)
My little kitty loves running, running,
My little kitty loves running fast.
My little kitty loves jumping, jumping,
My little kitty loves jumping high.
Other actions can include: Spinning around, Shaking quick, etc.

I'm a little kitty cat (from Jbrary
I'm a little kitty cat,
Nice and sweet.
Here are my whiskers, (make whiskers by face)
Here are my feet. (touch feet)
When I go out hunting, mice beware.
Or you might just have a scare!

Five little lions (from Jen in the Library)
One little lion, roaring at the zoo.
Called for another: ROAR!
Then there were two.

Two little lions, underneath a tree.
Called for another: ROAR! ROAR!
Then there were three.

Three little lions who heard a distant roar.
Called for another: ROAR! ROAR! ROAR!
Then there were four.

Four little lions, happy and alive.
Called for antoher: ROAR! ROAR! ROAR! ROAR!
Then there were five.

Five little lions.
ROAR! ROAR! ROAR! ROAR! ROAR!
Ran off to play
and then there were no more.

I've got a cat on my knee (with scarves, from Storytime Kids, to the tune of "Skip to my Loo")
I've got a cat on my knee,
I've got a cat on my knee,
I've got a cat on my knee,
Meow, meow, meow, meow!
Move to other body parts for additional verses.

Who has the ball?
One child sits facing the opposite way while a ball of yarn is hidden behind another child. They must guess who has it.

Craft: We decorated a cat template with torn pieces of yarn.

Literacy tip of the week: Connecting ideas in stories to things in your child's life will help them learn to make connections as they begin to read on their own.


No comments:

Post a Comment