Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Fall Storytime 11/12/13 and 11/13/13

Books read: Tap the Magic Tree by Christie Matheson
Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf by Lois Ehlert

Other book suggestions:
Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert
Fall Leaves Fall by Zoe Hall
Leaf Jumpers by Carole Gerber

Autumn Leaves (to the tune of "Mary had a Little Lamb")
Autumn leaves are falling down, (wiggle fingers and move hands towards the ground)
Falling down, Falling down.
Autumn leaves are falling down.
All over town.

Autumn leaves are whirling round, (spin around)
Whirling round, whirling round.
Autumn leaves are whirling round.
All over town.

Additional verses can include "dancing round", "jumping round", etc.

If I were a leaf
If I were a leaf,
I'd jump down from my tree, (jump)
I'd dance in the wind, (dance)
I'd fly in the breeze, (pretend to fly)
Falling softly to the ground I'd spin in the air (spin around)
Then I'd land on the ground. (fall down) 
I just don't know where. (shrug shoulders)

Here we go round the apple tree (to the tune of "Here we go round the Mulberry Bush")
(Have kids hold hands in a circle like Ring Around the Rosie)
Here we go round the apple tree, apple tree, apple tree.
Here we go round the apple tree, so early in the morning.

Here we go round the pumpkin patch, pumpkin patch. (circle goes in opposite direction)
Here we go round the pumpkin patch, so early in the morning.

This is how the leaves fall down, leaves fall down.
This is how the leaves fall down, so early in the morning. (all fall down)

Way up high in the apple tree

Way up high in the apple tree (stretch arms up high)
Five red apples smiled at me. (hold up five fingers)
I shook that tree as hard as I could. (shake)
Down came an apple, and boy was it good!

Way up high in the apple tree (stretch arms up high)
Four red apples smiled at me (hold up four fingers)
I shook that tree as hard as I could. (shake)
Down came an apple, and boy was it good!

Count down to one apple.

Literacy Tip of the Week:Reading factual picture books and nonfiction such as "Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf" is becoming increasingly important. New school standards mean that nonfiction will receive a great deal of attention in schools, so it is great to start early.

Craft:

No comments:

Post a Comment